Monday, December 6, 2010

Family traditions...

When I was just a little girl, I started a tradition of buying my mother a dated Christmas ornament every year. I still follow through with that tradition, and forty years later, she can decorate her entire tree with just the ornaments she has received from me.

When I got married, my mom started a tradition for me; every year she buys us a moving ornament. When my kids were born, I started the tradition of buying them ornaments every year, so when they grow up and get a place of their own, they already have a start.

In the house I currently live in we do 2 trees. The tree in the living room is done in victorian style, and the one in the lower level family room, is our 'sentimental' tree.

This is the tree where I hang all 18 of my mother's moveable ornaments, and my kids hang their own ornaments. It is full of ornaments that I gave my husband throughout the years and he gave me. It is scattered with 'sister' ornaments, that Cindy gave me over the years, and ornaments that I received from dear friends. This is the tree where our hearts are hung.

Another tradition that was started several years ago was Nick buying me a calendar every year. Not just any calendar, but Zelda's Bulldog Calendar. It is the one where she dresses up bulldogs in different outfits for each month. This is one gift I ALWAYS know I'm getting, but I always look forward to getting it, and I hope, it carries on, even after he's married.

Family traditions like these can be carried on for years, sometimes they can even be carried on from generation to generation, but some, sadly, seem to always get lost along the way.

What family traditions do you have, and which ones do you miss?

1 comment:

  1. I buy the kids a new ornament each year, too. The love it! We pick them out together and hang them up together. This year they were old enough for me to tell them about the ornaments -- and they loved it. Art and I also buy ornaments every time we go on a vacation w/ or w/o the kids. So the stories told as we decorated the tree this year were great! And thanks for your comment :) It means alot that your proud of me. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete